Houghton Regis Academy Closure - Public Meeting 10 March
Updated 2 March 2020
The Secretary of State for Education, in mutual agreement with the Trust, has now made the substantive and final decision to proceed to the closure of Houghton Regis Academy. However, in order to reduce the impact of the closure, a proposed closure transition plan has been agreed to which means the Academy will remain open for some year groups until 31 August 2022.
There will now be a ‘listening period’. The listening period is an opportunity for stakeholders and interested parties such as pupils, parents and staff to be provided with more information about the proposed closure process. It is also an opportunity for stakeholders to submit their views on how the process can best be managed. This period started today, 28 February, and will end at 5pm on 27 March 2020.
Parkside ward Central Bedfordshire Council (CBC) councillor said, “I am aware of the concern the current position will be causing pupils, parents and the wider community at Houghton Regis. I am working closely with the Council highlighting residents’ concerns. If you have any questions, please get in touch with me at Antonia.email@example.com
What's Happening• September 2020 the Academy will become a Key Stage 3 only provision (years 7, 8 and 9).
• To address the current poor accommodation at the Academy, years 7, 8 and 9 will be moved to the adjacent former UTC building from 1 September 2020.
• Greenwood Academy Trust has been working with CBC to identify appropriate high-quality school places in the locality. Cllr Ryan has been informed there are sufficient alternative places for all existing year 9 and 10 pupils at the Academy. Cllr Ryan added, “Whilst I understand this is not ideal it is their best opportunity for a better education.”
• For Year 9 and 10 pupils - Cllr Ryan has confirmed that CBC has agreed to:
- Provide new uniforms for ALL pupils
- Provide transport to the schools of choice.
For further information, please download a letter from the Trust.
If you wish to submit your views on the proposed closure transition plan, email firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on 27 March 2020.
If you have news for Houghton Regis, please send it in