What to do About Foreign Registered Vehicles?

Central Bedfordshire Council report that in the year to the 30th August 2018 out of 335 parking fines issued to foreign vehicles 254 were cancelled as the owner could not be traced.

In Topical Questions in the House of Commons, Andrew Selous, South West Bedfordshire MP asked
“Neither the police nor the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency has records of foreign-registered vehicles that have been in the UK for more than six months, which means that our roads are more dangerous and there is not equality under the law for British nationals. What are the Government going to do about this issue?”

Jesse Norman Minister of State (Department for Transport)
“As my hon. Friend will be aware, the problem concerns foreign-registered vehicles. For British nationals, there is an equality under the law. I recognise that there is concern about this issue. He knows that we seek vigorously to apply road traffic legislation where we can. This is for the police, in the first instance. In some cases, local authorities use international debt recovery agents. However, I recognise the problem that he describes.”

Mr Selous asked in Written questions, “What steps he is taking to ensure the compliance of foreign-registered vehicles with UK laws and regulations.”

Jesse Norman Minister of State (Department for Transport) replied to on 10th January, “UK road traffic legislation applies to everyone who use our roads irrespective of where the vehicle is registered. It is for the Police to decide what action to take against foreign drivers detected committing criminal traffic offences. This may include impounding. For traffic offences subject to civil enforcement, persistent evaders found in contravention may have their vehicles immobilised or removed. Some local authorities use international debt recovery agents to recover payment.”

The Local Government Association, which represents councils, says millions of pounds in parking fines are written off each year because authorities cannot trace the owners of the foreign-registered vehicles involved.

Daily Mail 1 January 2019

Information from HM Revenue & Customs says that records of vehicles entering and leaving the country at ports and the Channel Tunnel can be used to identify those that have been in the country for more than six months.

Traffic police tweet that they are having some success.