Vulnerable Adults May Have To Pay For Council's Money Management Service

Central Bedfordshire Council is giving the public the opportunity to share their views on proposals to change its current Money Management Service.

Most councils offer a Money Management Service to residents who are unable to manage their own finances and do not have a suitable person to do it on their behalf, despite not being required by law to do so.

Central Bedfordshire Council currently offers the service for free. However, requirements by Central Government has led to increases in costs and new charges by banks have added to the costs, which mean it is no longer sustainable to continue providing the service for free.

There is also a growing demand by vulnerable adults for the service which cannot be currently met.

The council is proposing to introduce a small affordable charging scheme to cover the costs of delivering the service and enable it to be expanded to meet the increasing demand and need of the service.

To assess the potential impact of the proposals a public consultation has been launched today, running until Monday, 12 March.

Councillor Richard Wenham, Deputy Leader of the Council and Executive Member for Corporate Resources, said: “By law, the council is not required to offer a Money Management Service. However, we recognise the importance of supporting vulnerable people to manage their finances effectively and safeguard against any financial abuse.

“Money Management offers people the support to know that their finances are being looked after honestly and supports customers to remain independent in the community and maintain their tenancy.

“Your views are about these proposals are important and before we make any decision we would like to hear from you about how this could impact you or a loved one who may use the service.”

Read the full proposal and have your say online.

Alternatively, you can request a paper copy of the consultation by:

Writing to: Freepost RSJS GBBZ SRZT (you do not need a stamp), Money Management consultation, Central Bedfordshire Council, Priory House, Monks Walk, Chicksands, Shefford, SG17 5TQ

Ringing: 0300 300 5176