Monday, 25 September 2017

Arriva Will NOT Reroute the Z bus



By Alan D Winter
In addition to my online petition regarding the Z bus service that was withdrawn from Windsor Drive and parts of Parkside Drive, there was also a paper petition from a Mr Perkins who is not on social media. Mr Perkins has asked me to publish Arriva's response (not marked confidential), together with his own reply to them.

I have also asked for a response to the online petition, but so far none has been forthcoming (although it is possible that a paper copy may be in the post to me). AW—25092017.








Sunday, 24 September 2017

Overnight Fire in Field at WSL




At about 1.30am this morning fire crews started arriving near a field off the Woodside Link where a huge pile of rubbish, deposited by fly-tippers, had been set alight. An old van used to block a hole in the hedgeline of a neighbouring property had also been set alight. The landowners are Telereal Trillium.

Without access to the field — earth bunds and a trench have been built to stop vehicles accessing the field — the fire crews were unable to drive their engines into the field.

Mr Roger Giugno, a nearby site owner and builder, used a digger during the night to help the fire crews. He was praised by a fire crew this morning for helping all night to rake the field and spread the burning rubbish.

Fire crews were split between the burning van site and the burning rubbish.

The last crew left about 8.30am, leaving the rubbish smouldering in the field, and will send another crew out at lunchtime Sunday to check on things.


  • Around 6am on Sunday morning Roger Giugno posted this to his Facebook Group:


Link to Facebook Overnight Pictures and Story

FOOTNOTES





  • A protest had been called to move the rubbish off the Telereal Trillium field and onto the A5505 this Sunday morning, but that was called off on Saturday. Mr Giugno commented in a group Facebook post:
Link to Facebook Group



Campaigner Threatens Illegal Action If Landowners Don't Clean Up Fields

Waste Transfer From Woodside Link Road To Houghton Town Council Offices On 25th August 2017


Wednesday, 20 September 2017

Campaigner Threatens Illegal Action If Landowners Don't Clean Up Fields



A mountain of rubbish dumped illegally on private fields near Houghton Regis has erupted in a formal call for more illegal activity to remove it from the fields and deposit it on the public highway.

Outraged Roger Giugno, who owns a nearby property, has called for the landowner to start removing the rubbish by Friday 22nd September. If they do not, Mr Giugno who is a local builder, says "We will use excavators, dumper trucks and other vehicles to pile the debris onto the Woodside Link."

In the protest entitled Dirty , Peaceful Protest To Protect The Kingsland Wildlife, Roger says, "We ask that as many residents and protesters of our group attend, but in an observing capacity only and in no way do anything that can be construed illegal. I Take full responsibility for all actions I will be forced into."

The illegal action to put the rubbish onto the highway is planned for September 24th. The landowners have said, "We strongly urge Mr Giugno not to carry out his proposals as this would risk the health and safety of many individuals."

This video was filmed on 13th September showing the extent of the fly-tipping:



The Woodside link is the A5505, a Central Bedfordshire Council sponsored road linking the M1 motorway junction 11A to the main Woodside Industrial site of two local towns, Dunstable and Houghton Regis.

The area has suffered from illegal encampments. At the beginning of September new travellers parked up at various points along the A5505. Tip-up vehicles were seen from bedroom windows along Houghton Park Road, Houghton Regis, regularly depositing waste material in the fields. One is seen tipping in the Part Two video below.


A statement was issued on behalf of the landowners, Telereal Trillium, on the 18th September saying, "We are in the process of implementing a range of security measures to protect the HRN1 site from trespassers and this will include trenches, concrete barriers and bunding. We are in the process of organising for the removal of this waste. We hope that the clean-up operation will begin by the end of the week and we estimate will take a number of days."

In response, Mr Giugno wrote:











Should the protest go ahead, it is worth noting that included a message to his supporters Mr Giugno, has written, "The land ,the subject of the protest, is sandwiched between the Woodside Link and The Kingsland Campus on the Northern Boundary of Houghton Regis."

"The protest will entail using 360degree excavators with land rakes to transfer the waste onto the Woodside Link Road following the closure from both ends of the link road prior to the transfer. Up to the point of transfer from the Pear Field to the road, we are on PRIVATE PROPERTY and no action can be taken against us by CBC or the Police that are paid by Taxpayers."

"The issue remains a civil matter until such time as the transfer to the road commences. I would respectfully ask that it be relayed to any law enforcement officers, that the protest is intended to be a
peaceful protest and I have given ample time for all parties to be aware of our intent."

© Words pictures, and video Houghton Regis News Desk 2017.

Thursday, 14 September 2017

Police Call For Witnesses To Sharon Fade's Last Movements - Murder Not Ruled Out

Investigation launched after body found in Houghton Regis. 49 year-old man arrested.

Police are appealing for information after a the body of a woman was found near Long Meadow, Houghton Regis, on Tuesday (12 September).

At approximately 3.49pm, police received a call from a member of the public reporting that they had found a body in undergrowth.

The body has since been identified as Sharon Fade, 45, from Houghton Regis. Her family have been informed and are being supported by specially trained officers.


An investigation has been launched by the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, and Hertfordshire Major Crime Unit. Officers are working to establish the circumstances around the death and are following a number of lines of enquiry.

Officers are now keen to hear from anyone who saw Sharon in the days before her body was found. She was last seen wearing light coloured leggings with a dark pattern, a light coloured t-shirt, a black leather jacket and blue, red and white Nike trainers. She may also have been carrying a black Nike shoulder bag.

Detective Chief Inspector Jerome Kent, investigating, said: “Sharon was last seen alive on Saturday 9 September, in the Long Meadow area. I am appealing for anyone who uses the open spaces around Long Meadow to come forward if they recall seeing Sharon between Saturday and Tuesday.

“If you knew Sharon and can give us any information on her recent movements, we would urge you to get in touch with us.

“We would like to assure the community that officers will be conducting reassurance patrols in the area and urge anyone who has noticed anything suspicious in the last few days to please come forward.”

Anyone with any information is asked to call DCI Kent on 101 quoting Operation Packet. Alternatively, call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

£320,000 Allocation For Football and Cricket Needs Spending By 2021

The Town Council are to consider options for improvements around the village green. A football wall, 2 flagpoles, re-surfacing of the existing basketball court, a beacon, and a bandstand are all among the proposals. 

A decision needs to be made by 2021 on how to allocate £320,000 of Trico funding designated for cricket and football provisions; the money was allocated through a Section 106 agreement with the former employment site that used to make windscreen wipers in High Street North; town councillors will consider applying to vary the S106 agreement to allow it to be spent on other leisure and recreational provisions.

Members will consider how best to manage the Tithe Farm recreation ground car park going forward. Since 2006 the car park has been restricted to football and nearby residents.

Moore Park car park management will be reviewed. For 2017/18 only one game per morning and one game per afternoon will be permitted at the adjacent ground as a measure to help control demand for parking space.

Windsor Drive recreation ground is owned by CBC Housing Revenue Account, but its suitability for housing was recently reduced as it was removed from the call for sites process. The Town Council are to consider applying for planning permission for a sports pavilion there and would try to secure a long term lease on the site so that it can be kept for sports and recreation purposes. 

The placement of notice boards around the town is to be reviewed.

Envirocrime - Graffiti was on the minds of Community Services Committee earlier. Now the Environment & Leisure Committee are to be asked to agree to the grounds team assisting in carrying out enviro crime work and to make purchases of equipment required.

The Environment & Leisure Committee of Houghton Regis Town Council will meet on Monday 18th September at 7.30pm in Peel Street. The agenda can be downloaded from the Town Council's web site.



community day sig









Monday, 11 September 2017

Three Houghton Regis Off-licences Fined

Three off-licences in Houghton Regis were issued fines after a plain clothes operation in Houghton Regis to crack down on anti-social behaviour.
 
Operation Cloudy was run by Bedfordshire Police's south central community team and the force's Licensing team over three days last week. Anti-social behaviour related to alcohol consumption, particularly in the Bedford Square area, has been raised as a priority issue by local councillors and residents.
 
In response to the concerns raised, the force launched a dedicated operation which saw plain clothes officers patrol the area and gather intelligence on Monday (4 September) and Tuesday (5 September). The force's Cadets also assisted the Licensing team with an alcohol test purchase operation on Saturday (9 September).
 
During the operation, two off-licences were issued a £90 fine in relation to selling alcohol to a person who was already drunk, and one was issued a fine in relation to selling alcohol to a person under the age of 18. Details of all the premises involved have been passed to the force's licensing team who will consider if further action should be taken.
 
Inspector Craig Gurr from the Houghton Regis Community Policing Team said: "Alcohol related anti-social behaviour has been raised as an issue by the community in Houghton Regis, and as a result we launched this dedicated operation. If an issue is causing concerns to our communities, then we will work hard to address those issues and take action where we can.
 
"The results of the operation show that action was necessary, and we will continue to work with retailers to ensure that they understand appropriate legislation. This issue will require a long term approach, but we will continue to address the issue by working closely with retailers, residents and other partners including the council. We will look to repeat this type of activity on a regular basis."













Thursday, 7 September 2017

urgent - £50 Rewards For People To Take Part In Wheelchair Trials

 
The research is assessing in detail how wheelchair users manage to transfer across small steps and gaps between a platform and a train.
We'll be carrying this research out in a specialist research centre in Stevenage, Hertfordshire between 15 September and 2 October 2017.
The trials will be using a custom-built test rig to simulate a train and platform.
This is a big ask!
Due to the nature of the research, we need participants to attend 6 half day design workshops.
We're offering £50 for each half day trial session and will cover all travel expenses. Therefore, the total for taking part in his project will be £300 plus travel expenses.
We're looking for people who use the following types of wheelchairs:
·         Powered Wheelchairs

·         Self-propelled Wheelchair with small front casters (2-4 inches)

·         Self-propelled Wheelchair with large front casters (5-8 inches)

·         Attendant Wheelchair

Of the six sessions, participants can choose to attend from the following half-day slots:
·         Session 1: 15th September AM /PM  OR  19th September AM

·         Session 2: 19th September PM  OR  20th September AM/PM

·         Session 3: 21st September AM/PM  OR  22nd September AM

·         Session 4: 22nd September PM  OR  26th September AM/PM

·         Session 5: 27th September AM/PM  OR  28th September AM

·         Session 6: 2nd October AM/PM

Morning sessions (AM) are from 9:30 to 12:30
Afternoon sessions (PM) are from 13:30 to 16:30.


Rica is a national consumer researcher with a consumer panel – RicaWatch – made up of over 750 older/disabled people.

Rica were part of Which originally, and are now independent and carry out quiet specialist research.

This latest project is at very short notice outside of our control.