Town Council Reject Orchard Close As The Town's Next Cemetery
|Orchard Close Recreation ground as seen from Dog Kennel Down|
Houghton Regis Town Council voted unanimously to accept the findings of a working group, and to no longer pursue Orchard Close Recreation Ground as the site for a future cemetery, at their meeting tonight (22nd June).
Instead they will seek land provision for a new cemetery within the HRN2 site (Bidwell West) where up to 1850 new homes and associated facilities are proposed (see Developments). There are no plans within the HRN2 site for a cemetery at present, although substantial recreational areas, orchards, and allotment sites are planned. The Town Council made objections to aspects of the HRN2 scheme earlier this year.
A working group of the Council, not open to the public, met on 11th June to discuss in detail the background to the earlier choice of the Orchard Close Recreation Ground, and the activity that had been done towards gauging its suitability. That meeting resolved the following:
1. To recommend to Town Council that Orchard Close no longer be pursued for a future cemetery;
2. To continue to make representations for cemetery land provision within HRN2;
3. To seek advice from CBC as to how to secure land north of the link road for a future cemetery should land not be forthcoming in HRN2.
4. To consider in more detail layout and internment options for the existing cemetery;
5. To liaise with the Church on options to establish a memorial garden within the Churchyard.
|Site wide master plan for HRN2. Source: document within CB/15/00297 Planning Application. The site is bounded by Houghton Regis Chalk Pit in the south, Bedford Road in the east, the new A5-M1 link road is the northern edge, the A5 Watling Street is in the west.|