Houghton Regis Leisure Centre is among six Leisure Centres identified by Central Bedfordshire Council as requiring investment.
£150,000 is required to reopen the Houghton Regis swimming pool. The procurement of a new leisure management contract for this centre is underway and will market test the cost of reopening the pool. Should reopening the pool be considered to be affordable then the capital works will be undertaken in 2014.
A decision on improvements at Houghton Regis Leisure Centre in Parkside Drive, will be made as part of the new leisure management contract.
Cllr Susan Goodchild, for Houghton Hall ward, said, "Fingers crossed. I hope we get our swimming pool".
Other Leisure works in Central Bedfordshire also await approval by the full council. Funds approved in the Council’s capital programme between 2013/14 and 2016/17 include:
• Tiddenfoot Leisure Centre: £1.4m refurbishment and expansion for fitness, a reception and café, and building work is underway.
• Saxon Pool and Leisure Centre: £1.6m extension for sports hall, currently at tender stage.
• At Flitwick, the CBC executive committee are recommending an eight lane, 25m swimming pool with separate variable base learner pool, four court sports hall, health and fitness station with around 120 stations, three workout studios, changing facilities, 2 squash courts, a crèche, café, soft play area, climbing wall and two outdoor 5-a-side pitches.
• Sandy Sport and Community Centre: £150k to refurbish the athletics track, planned to start in March 2013.
• Dunstable Leisure Centre: £2.3m refurbishment programme. A brief for an initial options appraisal is being developed.