Wednesday, 5 December 2012

HOUGHTON HALL PARK SURVEY

NEWS DESK'S HOUGHTON HALL PARK SURVEY

Take our survey.

Currently the main users of this Park are dog walkers.

There are preliminary proposals from Central Bedfordshire Council and Greensand Trust to create more facilities, including a new building with a café, improve the deteriorating heritage aspects, and make the Park more attractive for everyone to use.

How should it change to get you to use it more frequently? Maybe you think "leave it as it is".

Not even sure where it is? The entrance to it is off Park Road North, Houghton Regis.

So what do you think about these ideas?  Take the Houghton Regis News Desk Survey on Houghton Hall Park.

Learn about the heritage associated with the Park

Take the Survey

The survey is now closed.
Here are the compiled results:
Q1. How recently have you taken a walk around Houghton Hall Park?

Q2. Are you proud of the open space of Houghton Hall Park?

Q3. Dog walkers are the current primary users of Houghton Hall Park. Are you a dog walker?

Q4. It's being suggested that more people would use Houghton Hall Park if more facilities were provided. Have your say here.

Yes if there were more facilities for children - 3/8/2014 3:20 PM

Not sure that the atmosphere and integrity could be maintained if facilities were added. Dependant on what was installed. -2/2/2014 5:28 PM

Of course they would. As long as parking is free, and the facilities are better then schools etc would start to use the park.- 1/27/2014 3:07 PM

I live on its doorstep so it wouldn't make any difference to me either way- 1/10/2013 11:20 AM

I am happy as is it, I don't think there is a need for anymore facilities. It just need to be maintained/managed as it is.  1/9/2013 9:40 AM

I say leave it as it is, it's a nice open space, perfect for dog walks  1/8/2013 6:47 PM

A cafe would be good. I've heard that some dogs exercised there are dangerous which is why I've not used it for a while. 1/8/2013 6:19 PM

A coffee shop / cafe would be nice with outside seating for us dog walkers 1/8/2013 2:29 PM

Lighting would be good, I do not feel safe. Plus a lot of irresponsible dog owners there. I control and clear up aftee my dog why cant they? 1/8/2013 12:36 PM

yes would be nice to have more there, its a lovely there but a cafe or facilities would be nice too esp in the summer 12/13/2012 8:08 AM

I think it would be a great idea to have more facilities restrooms would be a good idea and I think even a cafe would be good maybe have it is a dog friendly one 12/13/2012 12:32 AM

Don't change it just give some one a job to be park ranger I don't go cause in scared of the youths there . U get abuse and dog poop . A warden would be able to stop all this . and people would feel safe 12/12/2012 9:25 PM

I think that may well be true. However, will it generate enough custom to operate for a sustained period of time? If there is proper funding to keep it going, then this would be a positive I think. It is such a lovely place, it would be nice if more people used it. 12/12/2012 8:03 PM

think a cafe would be nice and benches to sit and watch the wild life 12/12/2012 7:52 PM

New facilities always attract people in however new and innovative features and ideas for the buildings and general decore of the park along with a good service will help to retain number of visitors 12/12/2012 7:52 PM

Yes - cafe, picnic area, events tolook athistory. nature... 12/6/2012 9:34 PM

i agree there should be more facilities it is a lovely site 12/5/2012 9:10 PM

It had never really occurred to me, its just a nice place to take the kids for a nature walk but I always like.a good cafe! 12/5/2012 8:46 PM

I park/playground for children would encourage me to use the park. A public tennis court would be a nice to have. 12/5/2012 8:46 PM

We cycled round it when we were new to the area and went exploring on our bikes. A desgnated cycle path would be great so we don't run into the walkers. How about a pond with seating around it? Introduce pondlife/wildlife in an area? 12/5/2012 8:23 PM

no fine as is 12/5/2012 8:15 PM

It will be sad to lose a FREE facility as no doubt any change will mean a cost to use 12/5/2012 7:59 PM

a nice tea shop/ cafe, there is not many places to just chill with friends with a tea and cake in HR. I had read on the signs about a maze being mowed into the long grass, that would be nice. visitors centre similar to the downs. wild life learning centre or quiet places to watch the wild, such as hides etc 12/5/2012 7:54 PM

More lighting is a must, would like to feel safe walking my digg even on dark winter evenings. 12/5/2012 7:33 PM

Maybe a cafe and toilets 12/5/2012 7:02 PM

Its a good area and if it had some sort of refreshments or cafe, more people would visit especially in the summer months. 12/5/2012 6:55 PM

I agree, more activities should be put on especially for children to have somewhere to go something like stock wood park 12/5/2012 6:50 PM

Cut it back a bit more and add a concrete path with things to look at, statues or kids wodden climbing frame parts as you walk round 12/5/2012 6:29 PM

I think its ok as it is lots of people us it. Could do with some more poo bins. 12/5/2012 6:01 PM

Some sort of natural adventure trail for the kids would be nice..and more nature talks..perhaps a bioblitz in the summer 12/5/2012 5:59 PM

use it to walk the dog only 12/5/2012 5:58 PM

"Facilities" would spoil the only quiet open space in Houghton! Less rambling dogs slobbering all over my kids because their owners are too busy gossiping would encourage me to use it more - especially in the summer when it's a great place for a picnic! 12/5/2012 5:56 PM

Yes if a cafe or park/activites for children whilst families walk dogs or a general family walk.
12/5/2012 5:53 PM

mud scrapers. 12/5/2012 5:12 PM

============
Q5. It's being suggested that a café, study area for schools, toilets, and information point, are all installed inside a new building inside the present Park. Would you be in favour of that?

66.67% (30)

17.78% (8)

Don't know
15.56% 7
Total (45)

============
Q6. It's being suggested that a café, study area for schools, toilets, and information point, are all installed inside a new building inside the present Park. How do you feel about that?

Good idea 7/18/2015 8:43 PM

It doesn't need them 4/28/2015 12:01 PM

This would be most welcome ,it would draw people in to this park. 3/8/2014 3:21 PM

Dependent upon size and how intrusive it would be. Ideally Houghton Hall should have remained within the park to be used as café, museum, education centre etc. 2/2/2014 5:31 PM

Great idea! as long as there are no charges to enter the park then go ahead. 1/27/2014 3:08 PM

good 1/12/2013 2:49 PM

its a good idea but I think the monies could be well spent in improving other areas of Houghton. 1/10/2013 11:27 AM

I don't think it is needed as there are other facilities nearby ie cricket pavilion, library and community offices that could be better utilised. 1/9/2013 9:41 AM

That means that part of the walk area will be taken away to provide that, it's not that large of an area anyway, so using up part of it for a cafe etc is not a good idea. 1/8/2013 6:50 PM

Would help increase footfall no doubt, but would also need to consider parking. 1/8/2013 6:20 PM

Good idea as long as its dog friendly 1/8/2013 2:31 PM

I think it would be vandalised and kids would congregate putting people off, nice idea tho 1/8/2013 12:38 PM

would be nice gives us some thing to do locally 12/13/2012 8:09 AM

I think that's an excellent idea 12/13/2012 12:33 AM

Good we need it but as I said get a ranger to look after it 12/12/2012 9:26 PM

Can only be positive, as long as it is sustained and is built discreetly in the right place. 12/12/2012 8:04 PM

Good but please refer to prior note about innovative building etc... 12/12/2012 7:54 PM

would be nice 12/12/2012 7:52 PM

Awkward. Ihnffucbgdfcyfdbcudfucbfbu 12/11/2012 3:52 PM

good but would need to ensure maintainence and upkeep are considered. - invovle community fromthe start toinstill sense of ownership 12/6/2012 9:36 PM

i think its a great idea and it will help the park a lot but should not be to big 12/5/2012 9:11 PM

No objections, think its a good idea as long as the building is in tune with surrroundings and eco friendly. Use the visitor centre on Dunstable Downs for ideas. Minimise disruption while being built as much as poss. 12/5/2012 8:50 PM

Stick a Costa in the building and people would definitely make use of the facilities there. 12/5/2012 8:48 PM

great idea. Give the place more focus and make people more keen to visit. At the moment it just seems to be a derelect area 12/5/2012 8:26 PM

It would spoil it 12/5/2012 8:16 PM

This would be really great, would def use 12/5/2012 7:55 PM

It would be good and attract more visitors as king as they are properly maintained. 12/5/2012 7:34 PM

Great we would use 12/5/2012 7:03 PM

Good idea, as long as it fits in with the area. 12/5/2012 6:56 PM

And any thing more they can do 12/5/2012 6:51 PM

If a school study area was provided it should be away from the dog walkers as I once had a teacher with a class of children shout at me because my dogs went over to her children who were sitting on the grass. They are there once in a while whilst my dogs are there every day. 12/5/2012 6:47 PM

I think it would be a great idea to attract new people to the park like the downs attracts people with the national trust building 12/5/2012 6:32 PM

Are the council trying to make money by making the carpark bigger and charging for parking. 12/5/2012 6:03 PM

That would be brilliant..bringing the community together more and encouraging the younger ones to care and love the open spaces around them 12/5/2012 6:01 PM

waste of money 12/5/2012 5:58 PM

Absolutely NOT!!!! A building would spoil the peace and quiet of the park - look at the monstrosity on the Downs!  First thing you see as you drive along the top! 12/5/2012 5:58 PM

Yeah im happy with that. 12/5/2012 5:54 PM

don't know 12/5/2012 5:13 PM

Q7. Please indicate your Gender and Age

Q8. Please give your postcode.
Showing 44 responses